July 15th is “Gummy Worm Day” and what better way to celebrate than one of my favorite desserts: Worms in Dirt!
It’s a favorite for a few reasons:
- It is pretty quick and easy with only a handful of common ingredients
- It is chocolate AND includes Oreos
- It’s kept refrigerated and makes a perfect summer snack
So, let’s get started… what you need:
- Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix: I used the larger box 5.9 oz box, either will do (it also comes in a 3.9 oz box) – the consistency will just be slightly different!
- Milk (2-3 cups depending on the size of the pudding mix you use!)
- Cool Whip – 8oz container
- Oreos – at least 20 cookies, one regular package of Double Stuffed did it for me and I had “leftovers”
- Gummy Worms – at least one for each cup. I’d get at least 12 from the bulk candy section.
- Plastic Cups – I like being able to see the snack’s layers, I needed 10 cups, but it will depend on how full you make them, etc.
Step 1: Using a whisk, mix the pudding according to directions (with the milk) and let it set in the bowl for approximately 5 minutes
Step 2: While it’s setting, crush approximately 10 Oreos into fine pieces; then whisk the cool whip and Oreo pieces in with the pudding. (I used this handy OXO chopper to crush the cookies – SO much easier than a rolling pin or doing it by hand!)
Step 3: Spoon the pudding mixture into the plastic cups, leaving room at the top for more Oreo pieces (I crushed one Oreo per cup).
STEP 4: Refrigerate for at least one hour. (Putting the cups in a cake pan makes it easier to transfer to/from the fridge!)
Step 5: Immediately before serving, add a gummy worm… or two!
The kids LOVED them, I LOVED them, and I hope you do too!